Thursday, June 24, 2010

Museum of Modern Art

Yesterday I decided to make my fourth visit to the Moma, marking the second time I visited the museum without the barriers of a class assignment (I am an art minor, so visiting NY's art museums has become a customary element of each semester). I recently completed a photography class and my professor encouraged us to go see the Henri Cartier- Bresson exhibit. I took it as an excellent opportunity for some mother-daughter bonding time; it was with my mother that I first visited the Moma, back when I was still in elementary school. On the way up to the sixth floor, where the exhibit is located, we stopped on the third to take advantage of our time at the museum. We accidentally took a detour through Bruce Nauman’s “Days”; my mother hurried me on, but I was actually quite intrigued by the echoing voices repeating the days of the weeks. I was less impressed by our next stop, “Pictures by Women: A History of Modern Photography”; although some of the photographs were exciting, many were underwhelming and there was far too much nudity for my taste (but perhaps I’m just a prude). The Cartier-Bresson exhibit, on the other hand, was captivating and I would strongly encourage people to go see it in the short time left until the exhibit is taken off display. My only disappointment was in the sheer magnitude of people; it was hard to catch even a glimpse of some of the photographs, blocked by the throngs of viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment