Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The MET is one of my favorite museums in NY, one that I often visit. My most recent visit was to see the costume exhibit which highlights American women through the ages and their changing dress. I was surprised to see who exquisite and extremely well tailored the dresses were. Despite the decades past, many of the dresses are ones I would be honoured to have in my closet, especially those from the "Screen Siren" room. They do not make gowns like these anymore- long and flowy, almost ethereal. I also coveted a few of the dresses featured in the "Flapper" section, a couple of blouses and an exquisite riding costume worn by the "Gibson Girls" and some stunning gowns from the "Bohemian Era". The only drawback to this exhibit was the prohibition of cameras- I wold have loved to show some pictures to a tailor and have the dresses recreated and have this twenty-first century gal rock some garments from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment